14 January 2010

Turbinado-Dipped Shortbread Cookies



I need to get more comfortable with people watching me bake. I don't know if it was the cameras, or having Cory, Emily and John in the kitchen with me while I made these shortbread cookies, but I was extremely self-conscious the entire time. Definitely not nearly as much fun as I usually have while baking (but then again my usual baking experience calls for me dancing around, blasting upbeat music and singing my heart out into whisks). What WAS cool, was being able to see each step of the baking process laid out in picture form, thanks to the wonderful photography of John Fetherston. I learned a lot; for example: I should never wear my new apron (courtesy of John and Etsy) with patterns... It clashes. Also, I need to stand up straighter.

Well, I had been craving shortbread cookies for a couple of days and on my last night in Akron, I decided to grab a movie with my favorite power couple and my favorite Arizonan and get to baking! Results were a success that were gone long before I was...

Turbinado-Dipped Shortbread Cookies
Adapted from Food & Wine

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 sticks butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 c. flour
  • 3 tbsp. turbinado sugar (I used Sugar in the Raw)
  • 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
To Make:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Beat together butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt until just fluffy. Mix in the flour in 3 batches at a slow speed, until just incorporated.
  3. On a (preferably cold) work surface, form the dough into a 1 1/2 in. thick log, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for one hour.
  4. Brush log with egg yolk using a pastry brush, and roll in the turbinado sugar until coated evenly.
  5. Cut the log into 1/2 in. thick rounds and place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until brown around the edges. Cool completely.
Some Notes:
  • The original recipe also calls for 3/4 c. toasted and chopped pecans. I didn't include them because my friends aren't huge fans of nuts and I didn't have any on hand. They were delicious without them.
  • The dough was very hard to come together when forming the log. I believe this was because the butter wasn't perfectly at room temperature when I added it. Be careful!
  • I use a convection oven, and the original recipe called for baking the cookies for 20 minutes. Honestly, the batch was a little overdone for my tastes at 18 minutes, so watch carefully.

1 comment:

  1. lolz power couple. and i'm in love with your apron and shirt combo

    ReplyDelete