28 December 2009

Banana Creme Pie


I have made this recipe many, many times. The first was for my maternal grandfather, Bop's, birthday, and so I honestly think of this as Bop's Banana Creme Pie. Since then, I have made the pie several more times, for Thanksgiving, for get-togethers for my fraternity, and any other event when I need an easy pie recipe.

Let me reiterate: I love this pie. It is perfect in every way, ESPECIALLY the crust... because of the bananas used in the crust, the crust turns out chewy and delicious. It's the best part of the pie!

Banana Creme Pie
Adapted from Bon Appetit

Ingredients:
For crust
  • 2 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. mashed banana
  • 1/4 c. unsalted butter, melted
For filling
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/3 c. cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 c. whipping cream
  • 1 1/2 c. whole milk
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
To Make:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine crumbs, sugar for crust, and bananas for crust. Add the melted butter for the crust, and press mixture onto the sides of a pie pan. Chill for about 30 minutes, or until firm. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden and cool completely.
  2. In a saucepan, whisk cornstarch, sugar and salt. Add whipping cream and whole milk gradually, then add egg yolks. Cut vanilla bean in half, and scrape seeds into the saucepan, then add pod. Whisk over medium-high heat until thick and boiling. Remove heat, and whisk in butter and vanilla extract. Transfer to large bowl, and chill, stirring occasionally.
  3. To assemble pie, cut the remaining bananas into thin rounds. Spread layer of custard cream over the crust, then put a layer of banana. Repeat twice more. Top with whipped cream.
Some Notes:
  • Vanilla beans are expensive, but ENTIRELY WORTH IT. I made the pie several times before using real vanilla beans in it, instead opting to up the vanilla extract. While this works, I was astounded by the difference the real vanilla bean made. And yes, if you look hard enough, you can find them at Giant Eagle AND Kroger. So no excuses.
  • This is a great base custard recipe, so feel free to use it as a substitute in other recipes. It also doesn't contain gelatin, which is great for us animal-friendly bakers.
  • Also, this crust is amazing. I don't really taste much banana flavor in it, and I use it as my go-to graham cracker crust with any pie.

2 comments: