28 December 2009

Chocolate Creme Pie... sort of.


Okay, I'll admit it. I cheated. I used (gasp!) a frozen pie crust! Yes! Me! It's bad. Honestly, though, it was because I completely forgot about, and subsequently burned to a crisp, the chocolate-graham cracker crust in the oven not once, but TWICE. After that, I threw in the towel and just used one of the frozen pie crusts my grandmother had lying around. Oops. As a result, this recipe is not for Chocolate Creme Pie. It is more accurately for Chocolate Creme Pie... Filling.

Chocolate Creme Pie... Filling
Adapted from Gourmet

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 3 c. whole milk
  • 5 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
  • 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
  • 2 tbsp. softened unsalted butter
  • whipping cream for garnish
To Make:
  1. In a large saucepan whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt and yolks. Then add whole milk gradually, whisking until combined. Boil over moderate heat until the filling thickens. You can choose to sieve the filling or not, at this point (I didn't and it turned out fine).
  2. Mix in chocolates and butter. Chill, stirring occasionally.
Some Notes:
  • This 'filling' would be incredible as a pudding. It is SO rich and thick. It's my brother's favorite thing that I make!

No comments:

Post a Comment