29 July 2010

Raspberry Chocolate Clafoutis



I love this last photo. It makes me drool.



Clafoutis: the dish so nice, I made it twice... in the span of two weeks. Okay, that was cheesy. I apologize. I'm not going to lie; clafoutis are easy, delicious, versatile, and can sort of pass as breakfast food when I'm running out the door in the morning. Ahem. Also, I just plain love anything chocolatey, and since the HUGE power outage that knocked out the power for something like 300,000 houses in our area, I've been looking to use the defrosted frozen (previously fresh) berries that have been sitting in my fridge.

This is me being industrious and delicious AT THE SAME TIME. Admit it; I'm awesome.

I think my roommates are FINALLY getting used to my style of baking (aka loud music, dancing, godawful singing, and a huge mess everywhere... hey, I never claimed to be the prettiest baker to ever hit the interwebs). Cassie even asked... okay, who the hell am I kidding? Cassie DEMANDED to help me mix the batter, in between screaming at the new episode of Jersey Shore. I live in a mental asylum, but at least it's interesting. :)

Also, for the first time, I let the gods of last.fm decide upon my musical selection while baking. Laaaaazy. I just used the "Play Your Library" function, and it spit out a great mix, which I will now enumerate. Those who care, feel free to add me as a last.fm friend! --> http://www.last.fm/user/alynnhouse
Those who don't, feel free to skip ahead.

1) "The Resistance" - Anberlin
2) "Cuddle Fuddle" - Passion Pit
3) "Are You Sleeping?" - Harry Nilsson
4) "Crush'd" - Say Anything
5) "Tidal" - Imogen Heap
6) "Are You With Me" - Vaux

Primo jumping around the kitchen music. :)

ANYWAY... on to the actual recipe. This recipe, it turns out, is NOTHING like the other clafoutis recipe I posted. This dessert is very much a dessert; it's very rich and sweet and tangy (thanks to the raspberries). The texture is much more like a custard (thanks, I'm sure, to the whole milk and less eggs). Still, this recipe is absolutely a keeper, just for a different purpose. Yum!

Raspberry Chocolate Clafoutis
Adapted from Gourmet

Ingredients:
  • 12 oz raspberries
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1/3 c flour
  • 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 c whole milk
  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 6 oz semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
To Make:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray baking dish (I used the infamous casserole dish, but I'm sure any would work) with nonstick spray.
  2. Toss raspberries with sugar and set aside.
  3. Combine all remaining ingredients EXCEPT chocolate, beating until smooth.
  4. Spread raspberry mixture evenly in bottom of baking dish. Pour batter over raspberries.
  5. Bake for 35 minutes (SEE NOTES) until puffed up. Remove and immediately scatter chocolate over the top. Cool for at least 20 minutes.
Some Notes:
  • Next time I am absolutely going to butter the dish instead of nonstick-spraying it. It created the best crust on my last clafoutis.
  • I would definitely recommend lengthening the baking time by at least 5 minutes on this dish. It didn't firm up the way I expected it would... nothing like my last clafoutis. I think this was probably because the raspberries I used were much juicier than the cherries. Although this clafoutis was cooked through, it was the most custard-like around the edges.
  • Next time I might also use bittersweet chocolate, like the original recipe called for, instead of semisweet. The semisweet and the raspberries together were a bit much. It would have been nice to have the bite of bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment