22 July 2010

Sunshine Thins




When I was trying to describe these to Jacob (as I was making them), the only thing I could come up with was "lemon glazed butter things." But after one bite, I knew exactly what they reminded me of... sunshine. Hence, the name, obvi. One bite and I was able to breathe easier, smile, and relax... something I haven't been able to do in weeks. Maybe it was the way that these cookies are airy and light and just melt in your mouth. More likely, it's probably the tangy-sweetness of the lemon glaze, which is by far one of my favorite scent and tastes. Either way, I am impressed with this largely made-up recipe, and suggest you make it straightaway.

Sunshine Thins

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c (1 stick) of butter at room temperature
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2 c flour
  • 4 tbsp lemon juice, separated
  • about 2 c powdered sugar
To Make:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover baking sheet with nonstick foil.
  2. In large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and 1 tbsp lemon juice, and mix thoroughly.
  3. Place powdered sugar in a small bowl. Form dough into 1" balls (careful... very sticky <-- that's what she said) and roll each ball in powdered sugar, placing on baking sheet. Then roll balls in powdered sugar for a second time. Place about 1.5" apart on the baking sheet.
  4. Bake for 8 minutes in the center of the oven. Rotate pan. Bake for another 8 minutes, or until golden around the edges.
  5. Let cool for a few minutes. While they are cooling, mix remaining powdered sugar with lemon juice incrementally until a glaze is formed. Top cookies liberally with glaze.
Some Notes:
  • If you want to go for presentation, when you rotate the cookies, you can fork-press them a la peanut butter cookies. It makes them pretty!
  • Next time, I think I'm going to sprinkle turbinado sugar on after the glaze, for presentation and texture.

1 comment: